Who is my advisor? [TOP]
You can find this information on Banner Web/My Info

  • Go to www.gfcmsu.edu
  • Click on Students
  • Click on Banner Web/My Info
  • Click on Enter Secure Area
  • Enter your User ID (student ID number with the “-”) and your PIN number
  • Go to Student Information/Services
  • Click on Program and Advisor
  • Select the term
  • Your program (major) and advisor are listed on this page

How will an academic advisor assist me?[TOP]

The Advising & Career Center staff is committed to helping students identify and achieve their academic and personal goals.  As the student, you are responsible for the choices you make during your time in college. Advisors can assist your decision making by providing a solid foundation of information and support. Among other things, an advisor can:

  • Identify courses that meet program requirements, pre-requisites for your intended major, and fit with your personal interests and strengths
  • Assist you in collaboration with Career Services in exploring and choosing a major 
  • Help you understand academic probation/suspension and connect you with resources to help you succeed
  • Clarify academic policies and procedures
  • Help you develop an academic plan outlining courses through graduation
  • Discuss your progress towards meeting prerequisite/pre-major requirements for a given major, and suggest alternatives if you are off track.

Will my advisor register me for my courses?[TOP]

No, you must register through Banner Web/My Info.

What are the requirements of my major?[TOP]

First begin by exploring the Great Falls College MSU Catalog.  Then ask remaining questions of your advisor(s).

How do I change my major?[TOP]

Complete a "Change of Major " form after meeting with your advisor. These forms are available in the Advising & Career Center, Student Central and online

I'm having trouble deciding on a major - where should I turn?[TOP]

Students who have difficulty deciding on a major or a career should utilize the Career Services office located in the Advising & Career Center in R220.  Career Services has several programs that can aid students in making career and major decisions.

How do I remove a hold on my record?[TOP]

This will depend on what type of hold is on your record.  First, check the type of hold(s) you have by using Banner Web/My Info, and then contact the department to which it is related.

What is Academic Probation?[TOP]

Any student whose cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0 in a given semester is placed on academic probation at Great Falls College MSU for the following semester. All students are given at least one semester after being put on academic probation to reach a good academic standing. Students on probation will be limited to 13 credits during the probationary period. For details about academic probation, please review the Student Handbook.

What should I do if I have been academically suspended?[TOP]

All students enrolled in credit bearing courses who receive less than a 2.0 GPA and have a CPGA below a 2.0 for the second consecutive academic term will be suspended from the College.  Following suspension, students will not be considered for reinstatement until at least one semester (excluding summer) has passed. Readmission must be initiated through the Registrar’s Office by completing the Application for Admission and the Admission Academic Progress Appeal Form. Review the Student Handbook for information about Academic Suspension.

What does it mean to withdraw (drop) from a course?[TOP]

You will not earn credit for a course you drop and you may receive a “W” on your transcript. You should meet with Financial Aid and an advisor before dropping a course or withdrawing from the College.

When is the last day that I can drop/add a class?[TOP]

Check the current Academic Calendar located online each semester in order to learn important deadlines and dates.

How do I Withdraw from the college?[TOP]

Students who find it necessary to discontinue all college work before the deadline to drop has passed must complete an official withdrawal. Students planning to withdraw from all classes must consult an advisor in the Advising & Career Center. The Banner Web/My Info system does not allow a student to drop all of his or her classes online; a personal interview is required (in person or on the phone). The advisor will assist the student in completing the required paperwork and discuss the consequences.

How do I know if all of my requirements are completed for graduation?[TOP]

Students can view their transcript on Banner Web/My Info and check which requirements they have met by comparing them to the catalog. However, students are encouraged to visit their advisor for an audit.

Can I retake the COMPASS exam for math and/or writing?[TOP]

Students can retake that COMPASS exam at any time during a semester, and as many times as they would like.  A fee will be charged for each exam taken.  To schedule the COMPASS, please contact the Admission and Records office in Student Central.

What qualifies me as a full-time student? What does this mean?[TOP]

Students who are enrolled in at least 12 credits in a given semester are considered full-time students. Students are also encouraged to determine whether their parent or guardian's insurance policies are affected by their full or part time status as a student.

Can I get permission to take more than 19 credits in a semester?[TOP]

Students who have proven their capability to handle extra credits through previous academic performance are allowed to take additional credits. Interested students must gain permission through the Assistant Dean of Student Services.

How will my courses from another school transfer into Great Falls College MSU?[TOP]

Students should submit an official transcript from previously attended colleges or universities to Admissions along with their application.  Admissions and Records will review official transcripts and assign appropriate credit.  Grades less than a “C-” for previous course work will not be considered for transfer credit.  Transfer credit will be accepted only as it applies to the student’s declared program of study.

Contact Information

Located in R220